Application & Admission
October 1 - application opens
November 15 - early application deadline. You may apply by this deadline if you have all the complete documents and test results ready by that date. We will start assessing the applications and if your candidacy is selected you will receive the decision from us by the end of December.
January 15 - application deadline at midnight GMT+1. Your complete application should be submitted by this date.
March 15 - notification regarding the results of the selection.
1. Bachelor's degree
Should contain at least 90 ECTS in Social Sciences (including but not limited to Economics, Business Administration and Political Science), with a minimum of 30 ECTS specifically in Economics.
Students in their last year of the Bachelor program are welcome to apply and must upload a document in the application with the remaining courses in their degree.
2. GMAT or GRE test result
- GMAT or GMAT Online: minimum total score of 600 is required for the application to be considered.
- GRE General Test or GRE General Test at Home: minimum quant score of 155 is required for the application to be considered. No min requirement for the verbal score, but the higher the score the better it is for your application.
Applicants with a Bachelor of Science degree from a Swedish university are not required to submit GMAT/GRE test scores.
3. Proof of proficiency in English
We accept the following options as proof of your proficiency in English:
- IELTS Academic or IELTS Indicator: score at least 7
- TOEFL iBT or TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition: total score at least 100
- English as native language
- Bachelor’s degree from a program conducted completely in English
- Qualifications “English B/6” from Swedish upper secondary school
- Upper Secondary School under the curriculum of International Baccalaureate
4. Motivation & supporting attachments
- Letter of motivation answering a question why you are interested in the program and why you are a suitable candidate (500 words max).
- Brief CV with your recent achievements (one page, no other special requirements for the format).
- Relevant work experience and extracurricular activities may be considered.
- References are not required, but we give a possibility to submit them. Only contact details of your referees are needed from your side. You can submit your application even if you are still expecting the answer from your referees.
HOW TO APPLY IN 5 EASY STEPS
Step 1: Find the program you are interested in
SSE offers five MSc programs, a full list of them is available here. All MSc programs are 2 year programs and are conducted in English. Studying is full-time, and it is not recommended to combine the studying with other demanding activities. You can apply to several programs, however we would not recommend it. In order for your application to appear credible and well researched, it is preferable that you choose one program to apply for at a time. If you are having difficulty deciding which program suits you best, reach out to us and we would be happy to discuss this with you. You can be only admitted to one program. If you apply for several programs, we will use the list of your preferred programs submitted with the application as guidelines regarding your choice.
Step 2: Take the tests and meet the entry requirements
We require GMAT or GRE, as well as the language tests, unless you are exempted. Make sure to take/sit the tests by the application deadline (Nov 15 or Jan 15). Your application will not be considered, if GMAT/GRE is required for you and you do not attach the proof that you have taken the test. You can upload your preliminary result that you get from the test center, if your official result is due after the deadline. Do not forget, however, to report the official result to SSE. We recommend to use the same e-mail address for your online application and reporting the scores, it makes the matching much easier. Check here which tests we accept and how to send the results to us.
Step 3: Fill in the online application and upload documents
The application to SSE is only submitted via our website and is free of charge. If you want to apply for more than one program, you must submit an application for each of them. Make sure the list of your preferred programs is consequent in each application - we need to know which program you prefer if you apply for several of them. You can save your application anytime and come back to it when you have the required information. Submit your application only when you feel that you have provided all the required information (including the documents that must be uploaded), no changes can be made after you submitted your application. Make sure to make it before the deadline, late applications are not accepted.
Step 4: Possible interview
Sometimes we need to get in touch with you if we have any questions about your application. We will then invite you to a short interview via phone or video and ask a couple of questions. Such an interview also offers, naturally, an occasion for you to ask questions about the program and how it could match your career goals.
Step 5: Acceptance, conditional acceptance or rejection
We do an overall assessment of all the complete applications that we receive. We look at your Bachelor university, the courses you have taken and the grades, GMAT/GRE scores, your English language skills, CV and motivation. Please note that even though you fulfil all the application requirements, it does not mean that you are automatically admitted to the MSc program, as the number of places is limited and the competition is therefore intense.
A limited amount of outstanding applications are selected after the early deadline. If your application is complete and submitted by the early deadline, you might expect the positive decision by the end of December. In case you are not selected in this round, your application will be automatically considered during the second round. The results will be available in mid-March and all the applicants will be notified via e-mail.
Accepted students in their last year of the Bachelor program will receive a conditional acceptance - they must be done with the Bachelor degree by the start of the MSc program (send all the completing documents by August 20).
Due to the confidentiality of Admissions Committee deliberations, we regret that feedback on rejected applications is not given.