Apply to Incubate
Applications to the incubation program at SSE Business Lab should meet the following criteria. Check out our example pitch deck to see how we want the criteria presented.
Business potential: A scalable business model with international potential.
Business maturity: You have launched a prototype/MVP with initial traction (first user data/first customer or initial revenue), OR
You have secured funding and product/service is expected to be launched within 6 months.
Sustainability: You should be able to thoroughly explain how the positive impact of your business exceeds the negative impact.
Diversity: Your team should be diverse. This means you can show how diversity is a key strategic component to your business with specific policies, actions, goals and/or other practices. The result should be a diverse team with regards to gender and/or ethnic identity.
SSE-associated entrepreneurs: At least one founder has to be a student, alumnus or faculty member at SSE or associated to the school in another way.
Full-time commitment: At least one founder has to be dedicated to working with the startup as their main engagement.
The idea must follow the SSE Business Lab Ethical Guidelines (eg. no alcohol or betting ventures etc.). Venture capital and pure consulting/service firms are also not eligible.
CONTENT OF APPLICATION
1) CV for each founding team member should be no more than one page per member
2) Executive summary/Cover letter (one page) for the applicant startup including:
- What makes your business case promising?
- Why are you applying to SSE Business Lab?
- What are your expectations from SSE Business Lab?
- How can you contribute to the community at SSE Business Lab?
3) Pitch deck should be no more than 11 slides (including title slide). If you want to showcase your product, you can do so by adding 1–2 slides with screenshots or by adding a link to a user demo. Click here to view our example pitch deck.
Your pitch deck should include:
- Problem: Describe the problem you are solving.
- Solution: Describe your solution to the problem and what makes it unique.
- Market/Customers: Describe your market (size, geography) and who are your customers (channel(s) to reach them).
- Competition: Describe the competitive landscape and if someone has succeeded with this on another/similar market/segment.
- Team: Describe your team, and your view on diversity.
- Business model: Describe your revenue streams (e.g. revenue model, gross margin, lifetime value) and your cost structure (e.g. distribution costs, customer acquisition costs, R&D).
- Scalability: Describe how you can scale the idea if you make it into a business
- Sustainability: Describe the positive and negative impact of your business and how you work to strengthen the positive, as well as mitigate the negative. Describe how you work towards at least one sub-goal of the Sustainable Development Goals (Agenda 2030). See example on the bottom right column.
- Progress/Growth outlook: Describe your progress until now and your growth outlook for the next 18 months (in text and numbers).
- Key metrics: Describe your key metrics for growth, targets and milestones for the next six months if admitted to SSE Business Lab (these will be the metrics that you are evaluated on at admissions and Progression Q&A after six months).
The final application which you submit to SSE Business Lab should include components 1-3. The three components should not be larger than 4 MB in size. Save everything in one file (pdf or zip) and name it "SSEBL_[Company name]_Application". Submit your application by attaching it when completing the application form. We accept applications in Swedish or English.