Master program in Economics
The program puts an emphasis on problem-solving skills that can be applied in a wide variety of settings and offers an invaluable start to your career. By using modern economic analysis and quantitative empirical methods you will be given the tools to analyze complex real world problems in public policy making, as well as in private business and international organizations. You will also be well equipped to continue with PhD studies in economics.
During the first semester, the focus is on the theory and empirical methods of economics. The courses are designed to provide students with a thorough understanding of state-of-the-art models and techniques used in economic analysis.
In the second semester, focus shifts to applications and extensions. This part builds on the skills acquired during the first semester, and broadens and deepens your knowledge of economics.
The second year of the Master program is devoted to taking more courses (30 ECTS) and writing the Master thesis (30 ECTS). You can either continue taking courses in economics, choose elective courses from any other Master program at SSE or follow the Sustainability Track or Data Analytics Track.
Second-year MSc in Economics students also have the possibility, with some caveats, to take first-year PhD economics courses as part of their degree to count as elective courses.
Additionally, you have the possibility to apply for a semester abroad at one of our partner universities or work as trainee at one of our corporate partners which are involved in the Executive Trainee Module (XTM).
Meet the Program Director
👉🏽 This is Robert Östling - Program Director for the MSc program in Economics and Professor in the Department of Economics and House of Governance and Public Policy.
We are proud of our graduates and the choices they make with the opportunities afforded them. A degree from SSE opens doors to a wide range of careers and advanced studies. Out of all MSc alumni who graduated in 2022 and told us that they went straight to work, 96 percent found employment within three months of completing their studies. Meet our graduates here.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Do you wish to receive more information about our upcoming events and the latest news about SSE? Subscribe to our newsletter by filling out this form.
Class composition | Intake 2023
- 56 students enrolled
- 50% female students
- GMAT range*: 640 - 740
- GMAT median*: 700
- GRE range: 155 - 170
- GRE median: 165
- Swedish students: 36
- International students: 20
- Average age: 24
Nationalities: Sweden, China, Germany, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Peru, Georgia, Singapore, Finland, Italy, India and Hungary.
* Please note that the GMAT scores are only linked to the GMAT Exam, not to the GMAT Focus Edition.
You can look forward to a wide range of possible careers. The following are examples of the types of organizations/fields that demand the kind of skills that a MSc in Economics provides:
- Banks and other financial firms
- Consultancy firms
- International organizations like the United Nations and its specialized agencies, the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund and regional development banks
- Industry organizations and associations
- Government, including ministries, central government bodies, counties, municipalities
- The foreign service, including embassies and consulates abroad
- National and international development cooperation agencies, governmental and non-governmental
- Journalism and media of all kinds
- Data analysts in startups or tech firms
- PhD studies and academic career in economics