Associate Professor / Assistant Professor position in Entrepreneurship at the House of Innovation
Stockholm School of Economics announces Associate Professor / Assistant Professor position in Entrepreneurship at the House of Innovation
The Stockholm School of Economics (SSE) is a leading Northern European business school. Enjoying a strong international reputation, the School is known for its ability to attract outstanding students and scholars from across the globe. World-class research forms the foundation of our educational offering, which includes Bachelor, Master, PhD, MBA, and executive programs. About 1800 students (excluding executive programs) are enrolled at SSE. Programs are developed in close cooperation with the business and research communities, providing graduates with a solid basis for attaining leading positions in a broad range of organizations, as well as for business venturing. The School is accredited by EQUIS, certifying that all of its principal activities maintain the highest international standards, and is the only Swedish member institution of the worldwide business school alliances CEMS and PIM, contributing to the high level of quality for which SSE is known.
Position and Environment
The House of Innovation (HOI) at the Stockholm School of Economics (SSE) currently invites applications for an Associate Professor or Assistant Professor position with a focus on Entrepreneurship.
Candidates are expected to have strong qualities in both research and teaching. In research, the successful candidate should exhibit the ability to publish in top-tier, peer-reviewed, international journals, as evidenced by a promising research and publication pipeline, a presence in the international research community, and publications in leading journals (if available). In teaching, experience from designing and delivering courses, as well as from coaching student projects, is considered a merit. Candidates will be expected to interact and collaborate with faculty from other disciplines and to exercise intellectual leadership in their discipline.
The position is tenured or tenure track, depending on experience and qualifications. The tenure track is a three- plus three-year position, with promotion to tenured associate professor subject to satisfactory research and teaching performance.
This year, we are particularly interested in (but not limited to) candidates with a research orientation fitting with our newly formed Center for Family Enterprise, under the leadership of Professor Mattias Nordqvist. We encourage interested candidates to think broadly about how their research fits or might fit with the broader topic of family enterprise and family-based venturing.
An ideal starting date for successful applicants is August 2023, but we are open to discussing other dates. Salaries are competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience, and are set on an individual basis.
To apply, please submit a formal submission via the SSE Varbi online platform (https://ssehoi.com/cnv), including:
- 1. A cover letter articulating the candidate’s fit with the position description, including research interests and teaching experience.
- A curriculum vitae.
- A separate document listing both published articles (if any) and articles submitted to journals.
- Copies of representative research.
- Names and contact information for three persons willing to provide references.
Complete applications must be received through the Varbi platform by September 30th, 2022 (CEST).
The House of Innovation will host campus visits by invitation in the fall of 2022.
About the House of Innovation (HOI)
The House of Innovation, a recently formed unit within SSE, offers an excellent, inter-disciplinary research, education and outreach environment focused on innovation, digitalization and entrepreneurship (https://www.hhs.se/en/research/research-houses/house-of-innovation/). HOI collaborates with a broad, influential network of academics, corporations, government agencies, and civil society actors, with the aim to contribute to the advancement of society and of the international community. HOI has an international group of scholars with currently 10 tenured and 14 tenure-track professors, 22 PhD students and 32 research fellows and postdocs. Two tenured positions at HOI are also currently under recruitment.
HOI faculty members regularly publish in top academic journals, including Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Management, MIS Quarterly, Journal of Business Venturing, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Management Science, Organization Studies, Journal of Management Studies, Information Systems Research, Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of Product Innovation Management, Research Policy and Harvard Business Review. They serve on editorial boards, in editorial positions, and in academic leadership positions. They frequently receive substantial grants from leading Swedish and European funding institutions to conduct state-of-the-art research, and serve on national and international policy committees, thus contributing to the shaping of society and of innovation ecosystems.
The benefits of becoming a faculty member at HOI include, but are not limited to:
- Enjoying a favorable balance between teaching and research activities (from 20% to 40% teaching).
- Tapping into cross-disciplinary expertise in innovation, entrepreneurship, information systems and operations improvement.
- Teaching highly talented and motivated students/participants, from undergraduate to master and doctoral levels, as well as in MBA and Executive Education programs. Our master programs are ranked 8th (Management) and 20th (Finance) in the world by Financial Times. SSE Executive Education is ranked 10th in the world for open programs and 1st in Northern Europe by FT. Our admissions processes are highly selective.
- Working in a young, dynamic, international, diverse environment. Recent faculty hires to SSE come from environments such as London Business School, Bocconi, Harvard U, Kellogg/Northwestern U, New York University, HKUST, RSM among others.
- Being part of, and contributing to, the Stockholm entrepreneurial and innovation ecosystem in a wide and comprehensive way. HOI hosts the academic Department of Entrepreneurship, Innovation & Technology, the Jacob and Marcus Wallenberg Center for Innovative and Sustainable Business Development, the Scania Center for Innovation and Operational Excellence, The Garden – Center for Design and Leadership, The Center for Family Enterprise, CDA – the Center for Data Analytics, the MISUM Research Platform Sustainable Business Development through Entrepreneurship and Innovation, and Swedish Center for Digital Innovation, Stockholm (SCDI Sthlm). We also run the SSE Business Lab start-up incubator and coordinate SSE’s involvement in the Stockholm School of Entrepreneurship (SSES), a consortium with the six major universities in Stockholm providing innovation and entrepreneurship education across the wider Stockholm area and beyond.
- Leveraging the extensive and active network of corporate partners of SSE to conduct relevant empirical research and joint projects. The SSE Corporate Partners network includes the large majority of leading Swedish multinational companies, such as Ericsson, H&M, Scania and Electrolux, as well as international organizations, such as McKinsey & Company, PwC, ABB and IBM.
More about the House of Innovation can be found at: https://www.hhs.se/en/research/research-houses/house-of-innovation/.
About the Stockholm School of Economics (SSE)
The Stockholm School of Economics is ranked as the top business school in the Nordic and Baltic countries and enjoys a strong international reputation. World-class research forms the foundation of our educational offering, which includes Bachelor, Master, PhD, MBA, and Executive Education programs. Through creativity and collaboration, the Stockholm School of Economics provides an environment where ambitious students and accomplished researchers meet to address contemporary challenges within business and economics, particularly those concerning sustainability, diversity and innovation.
Apart from delivering world-class education within business and economics, SSE students are trained to be successful decision-makers and leaders of the future. https://www.hhs.se/en/about-us/organization/mission-and-vision/.
SSE is committed to a balanced gender distribution and values a variety of backgrounds and experiences among our employees. We, therefore, welcome all applicants regardless of their gender, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, disability, sexual orientation, age, or religion or other beliefs.
More about SSE can be found at: https://www.hhs.se/en/
Should you have any questions regarding this call, please contact:
Assistant Professor Roxana Turturea (email@example.com)
Professor Mattias Nordqvist (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Research Officer Anders Reagan (email@example.com).