Department of Marketing and Strategy
Mistra Center for Sustainable Markets
Dr. Emma Sjöström is co-director of the Sustainable Finance Initiative at Misum, SSE.
She conducts research on sustainable finance and ESG investment, mainly from a management and organization perspective. Current projects include strategies for active ownership; shareholder engagement on carbon risk; ESG in earnings calls; the integration of ESG in investment analysis; and monetization of sustainability. Additionally, she is writing teaching cases on sustainable business and sustainable finance.
Emma Sjöström's PhD dissertation is titled Shareholder Influence on Corporate Social Responsibility and was published at SSE in 2009. She has been a guest researcher at the University of Hong Kong.
- Slager, R., Gond, J-P., & Sjöström, E. (Accepted/In press). Mirroring and switching authoritative personae: A ventriloquial analysis of shareholder engagement on carbon emissions. Human Relations.
- Belinga, R. & Sjöström, E. (2023) Accomodating demands for calculability: The financialization of ESG in the Swedish financial market. Conference paper accepted to the European Group of Organizational Studies (EGOS), Cagliari, July 6-8 2023, and the Academy of Management (AOM), Boston, 4-8 August 2023.
- Belinga, R. & Sjöström, E. (2022) Unpacking ESG Integration - The Emergence of a Calculative Culture. Conference paper presented at the European Group of Organizational Studies (EGOS), Vienna, July 7-9 2022.
- Dzielinski, M., Eugster, F., Sjöström, E. & Wagner, A.F., (2022) Climate Talk in Corporate Earnings Calls. Working paper.
- Waltré, N., Sjöström, E, Agerström, M., Vanhyuse, F. & Requena Carrion, A. (2022) The role of private market capital in financing sustainable cities: investor and municipal views in a Swedish context. Report published by Misum/Stockholm School of Economics, SEI and Cleantech Scandinavia.
- Sjöström, E. & Belinga, R. (2021) Integrating sustainability in financial analysis. Report published by Misum, Stockholm School of Economics and Swesif.
- Sjöström, E., Sandberg, R., Westlund, A. (2021) ESG ratings: the mixed bag and its implications. Working paper.
- Setterberg, H. & Sjöström, E. (2021) Action Lab: Integrated Communications on Financial and ESG Performance in the Earnings Call. Misum Working Paper Series No. 2021-01, May 2021.
- Setterberg, H., Sjöström, E., Nordlund, J. & Richtner, A. (2020) Green bonds in emerging markets: Isbank. SSE Teaching Case 2020-001.
- Sandberg, J. & Sjöström, E. (2020) Motivations for Investment in Sustainable Consumption and Production. In: Bali Swain, R. & Sweet. S. (eds.) Sustainable Consumption and Production, Volume I. Palgrave McMillan.
- Sjöström, E. & Erlandsson, U. (2020) The bond market and its role for the climate change transition. SSFC Insight: Stockholm Sustainable Finance Centre.
- Blomqvist, E., Waltré, N. & Sjöström, E. (2020) Investor brief: Sustainable investments for increased use of recycled material. Report published by Mistra.
- Östlund, Å. Roos, S., Sweet, S. & Sjöström, E. (2020) Investor Brief: Sustainability in Textiles and Fashion Report published by Mistra.
- Sjöström, E. (2020) Active ownership on environmental and social issues: What works? Report published by Misum, Stockholm School of Economics.