The innovating markets platform aims to engage with individuals and organizations to address critical global challenges by innovating and transforming product and services markets towards sustainable development.
The UN Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Agreement acknowledge the need for a transformative change in the individual actors, businesses, industries, communities and livelihoods across the local, regional and global economies to deliver positive economic, social and environmental progress. The innovating markets platform aims to engage with individuals and organizations to address critical global challenges by innovating and transforming product and services markets towards sustainable development. The platform explores how governments, relevant international organizations and the private sector can play an active role in innovating businesses to help companies, individuals (consumers and citizens), organizations and sectors, to remain competitive, while transitioning towards sustainable markets and economy.
Growing pressure on the environment through economic growth and increasing population and consumption creates long-term risks and vulnerabilities to the business, consumers/citizens and the society. Through research, teaching and outreach/engagement the platform aims to support business and policy in developing solutions that move towards resolving the challenges of achieving societal and economic prosperity with sustainability. The platform addresses the following questions/ intellectual debates:
Level 1 questions
- Can markets, market actors and natural and social systems interact in organizing, shaping and transforming towards more sustainable markets?
- By adopting innovative sustainable practices, innovative products, processes, and business models, can businesses create value for its shareholders as well as for society?
- How can behavioral insights be leveraged by governments, international organizations and businesses to promote more sustainable markets?
Level 2 questions
- How can the industries be motivated to make the transition towards circular economy?"
- Can 'Green' products (both environmental and social) and business models present the opportunity to create new markets that are profitable while creating sustainable solutions?
- How is shared value created, and how can it contribute to a collective impact being beneficial for businesses as well as the wider society?
- How can energy markets innovate and transform