Leadership and health in the hotel business in Europe
The study seeks to answer the following questions:
Are there any associations between characteristics/behaviours of the present, closest superior and the health of the subordinates?
Are there any associations between characteristics/behaviours of the present, closest superior and psychosocial working conditions (such as e.g. demands, control and social support)?
- Are there any differences between the leadership that subordinates describe as their ideal and the leadership they describe as being practised by their present, closest superior?
- Are there any associations between differences between ideal and practised leadership and the health of the subordinates?
Are there any differences between participating European nations regarding:
- Perceptions of ideal leadership?
- Leader behaviours and characteristics of the present closest superior?
- Study questions 1, 2 and 3?
200 employees from the hotel business will be recruited from each country. The study will in total include 600-1000 participants. The participants will be recruited from all departments within the hotels and all employees from each participating hotel. Hotels that is more local than international will be chosen with the purpose to enhance cultural differences. 20 participants from each country will also be selected (according to a stratified method) for blood samples, collected by a nurse on-location.
In essence, data will be collected for three main areas:
- Psychosocial working conditions at the work place
- Leadership behaviours and characteristics
The Copenhagen Psychosocial Questionnaire will be used for data collection in areas 1 and 2. The GLOBE questionnaire will be used to collect data on leadership practice and leadership ideals (area 3).
Swedish project leader:
Anna Nyberg (KI)
Swedish research team:
Anna Nyberg, psychologist at the Department of Occupational and Environmental Health and research assistant at IPM.
Ingalill Holmberg, Ph.D., Professor and Director of the CASL, Stockholm School of Economics.
Töres Theorell, MD, Professor and Director of the National Institute for psychosocial Medicine (IPM) in Stockholm.
Peggy Bernin, MD, Ph.D. and researcher at IPM.
Staffan Åkerblom, Programme Director at the Swedish Institute of Management and CASL Associate.