Facilitating more reflective, self-aware, and culturally literate students
Since 2013, the SSE Art Initiative has been making the school richer by adding experiential and aesthetic aspects to the academic knowledge already present. The Art Initiative has grown into a critical component of the SSE educational experience by helping students become more reflective, more self-aware, and more culturally literate.
The SSE Art Initiative has developed into a multi-faceted program consisting of a number of student and community-focused activities, drawing audiences from SSE students, faculty, staff, and the greater Stockholm community.
The Art Division, a Student Association, cooperatively arranges five Art Talks per semester, facilitating important and exploratory conversations on art, society, the social sciences, and many of their predictable and unpredictable contact points.
Other Art Initiative activities include:
- Video Exhibitions: A selection of screenings of video art shown in the school’s Atrium, a central study space, and event area reaching all those who pass through the open space, or pause for a lunch meeting or study gathering.
- Research Colloquia: Community members are invited to a selection of research seminars on interdisciplinary topics, with Swedish and international researchers.
- Guided Tours: The artwork and exhibitions are open to the public through guided tours.
- Musical Performances: In collaboration with the Royal College of Music (KMH – Kungliga Musikhögskolan), SSE hosts lunch concerts in the school’s Atrium and other venues.
- SSE Literary Agenda: Currently 200 students are participating in this program, which includes author talks, small group discussions, and a Literary Certificate upon completion.
- Artwork Exhibitions: A selection of artwork integrated throughout the campus premises