The MSc Executive Trainee Module, or XT in short, is our response to the growing demand for practical learning integrated into traditional academic training, emphasizing the strategic dimensions that are so important in today’s business organizations.
Through the one-term program XT, you have the opportunity to experience working closely with an executive manager within an SSE Partner Company, and can hence start to build a network of contacts that will improve chances of success in your future career. Companies, on the other hand, get to assess a number of SSE M.Sc. students, and find the right talent to employ after graduation.
Surveys have shown that the component most missed by business students is practical learning. Our own SSE Business Competence Panel in turn pointed out that there sometimes is a mismatch between what companies want from new recruits, and what graduates can offer. Since good matching between students and their future employers has always been very important at SSE, we decided to adress these issues. One of the solutions is XT.
The intended learning outcomes are:
Building an understanding of the company and its business environment from the executive manager’s perspective, including
- company history, corporate culture and values
- the current and future competitive landscapes
- the company strategy and business model
- organizational capabilities and the company’s ways of working
- financial position
- strategic challenges
Taking responsibility and experience executive leadership
- showing empathy and professionalism as part of a working team or department
- increasing self-awareness by for example working in teams
- handling complex tasks and team settings
- practising negotiation skills
XT includes 80 days of full-time trainee work and 20 days of case writing and XT classes at SSE. The program is offered for most M.Sc. programs during semester 3 and 4 (for exceptions, see Program Availability). To participate, you have to be selected by one of the Corporate Partners.